I’m going to be honest, I wasn’t sure we’d actually pull this off.
I was determined to have two separate areas, one for each boy. I believed we could do it, but when going into a project you’ve never done before, it’s hard to be sure. There was construction that needed to be done. We had a model to work off of, but we weren’t always able to use the exact same materials so there were moments where we had to get creative and make our own design.
We started with one bed platform and a closet. We ended with two platforms and no closet. We had to find a way to gracefully remove the closet system and build a bed platform over a wheel well that looked similar to the adjacent platform that, admittedly, looks much more professional than what we wound up making. Even still, I’m so proud of the work we’ve done. Proud of the work Ian has done especially.
So here is how this section looked when we bought the airstream. Our renovation is a bit weird because we bought an already renovated airstream. We’re not really doing anything to the airstream because it needs to be updated. It’s mostly just modifying it to meet our specific needs. As beautiful as it is, we just couldn’t think of a good sleeping solution for our two boys that didn’t involve getting rid of this storage.
So we ripped it out! It involved learning about rivets and getting involved in a project without rushing. We typically choose to just start and then go about a process haphazardly, but this time we took our time so we wouldn’t rip any walls out or anything.
Building that platform was our biggest project. We ran into obstacles, like the fact that we can’t hook up the airstream to any power source right now. So we started this whole project with our drill plugged into an extension chord that ran out to our car (ha!). That did not work (go figure). Then, we bought a cordless drill which helped a lot.
But then, we had all this wood we needed to cut. The hardware store would only do 2 cuts for us, but we needed like, 10. So we bought a hand saw…. and Ian sawed every little piece of wood you see by hand. He is truly a trooper and we couldn’t have done this without him.
So, somehow, we managed to build the storage under the bed. We had to make some adjustments once we put the unit in the airstream and realized our measurements were a little off. But we got it in there, we cut it down to fit, and then we went to buy the materials needed to secure the platform for the bed.
Only they didn’t have materials that matched what the previous owner had done to suspend the original platform over the wheel well. So we got creative and figured out our own design to keep the platform secure. We weren’t sure if it’d work, but the concept seemed to make sense in our minds and luckily, the execution seemed to be successful!
So then for the painting. I have been dreaming of creating a room for my boys that I can really make their own. Something cozy and unique to us. Not just 4 walls with some photos hung up, but a real life, “I designed it all myself just for them” bedroom. I was a little overwhelmed with all my choices, but I think I was able to pull everything together in a way we’re all happy with.
I started out wanting wallpaper. I found a few really interesting designs that I thought would make the space fun for the boys, but when I started getting the pricing together and thinking through the logistics of hanging wallpaper for the first time in my life in the tight quarters of an airstream, I decided that dream may have to wait.
So then, I thought about painting some designs on the wall. Just some simple shapes to make it fun. Ultimately, I decided the most fun thing for them would be to keep it simple. To let their imagination and activities make the space fun rather than bold shapes to distract them from their own heads.
So this is the style I’ve been gravitating towards. Very simple, very minimal, but with a touch of whimsical.
Now that the paint is in and the rooms are fairly complete, all that’s left is decorating which I cannot wait for. I’m really hoping to make the larger platform a more versatile space. A place where one of the boys can sleep at night, but during the day we can move the mattress to have more of a play space. I think it’ll come together nicely but I’m going to need to spend some time shopping first (darn).
Really, my goal is to make sure this looks complete when we move in. I don’t want to have a few pieces randomly scattered throughout the spaces. I really want for the boys to walk in and feel like it’s home. Like it’s their very own special space made just for them.